Amma makes Godhumai Halwa for every Diwali.
She makes the most yummiest halwa.. My first post
was about Amma's first hit at her in- laws place after her
marriage . But the second one Godhumai Halwa was a total
disaster . Mistakes make us perfect . That made Amma perfect
at making delicious Halwa.And this is the only sweet
that I never eat from sweet shops.
Diwali and my home town could not be divided ....my
home town is none other than Sivakasi .It is
a small town known for fireworks and match factories.
The town contributes 90 % of India's total fire works .
It is surrounded by match factories and fire works .We
couldnot find unemployment in our area..People
here are very active and hard working.. It is popularly
known as Kutty Japan which was given by
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru .
Coming to the recipe ...
Whole wheat - 1 cup
Sugar - 3 cups ( can reduce to 2 cups )
Cardamom powder - 1/ 2 tsp
ghee - 1/2 cup
Saffron color - pinch
Cashew - 1 tblsp
- Soak whole wheat with enough water for overnight.
- In the morning drain the water and grind the wheat in the mixie using 1 cup of water.
- Using a sieve squeeze the wheat milk.
- Repeat this for 3 more times.
- Keep the wheat milk aside for atleast for 1/2 hr.
- The thick wheat milk sets at the bottom . Drain away the extra water that sets in the top.
- Now in a heavy bottomed vessel ( I usually use 5 lr cooker ) Bring wheat milk, saffron color and sugar to boil.
- Keep stirring continuously in a low medium flame.( otherwise it will form lumps).
- Start adding ghee 2 tblsp at a time when halwa sticks at the bottom.
- Fry cashews in 1 tsp of ghee in a separate pan.
- Add cardamon powder and cashews to halwa.
- Halwa is done when the ghee separates out from the pan.
- It will take around 30 - 40 min for ghee to ooze out from the sides for 1 cup of wheat.
- Serve in a bowl or cut into desired shapes.
And this is my entry to Srivalli's JFI : Festive Treats