May 7, 2008

Parota - TamilNadu style

A flaky , layered parotta is a popular dish in
TamilNadu.It is really great sight seeing in the
evenings to watch the Parota masters tossing
the parotas on the road side shops.
My elder cousin sister taught this easy
method to make this flaky parotas.She is a great cook .
I like more for her energetic , manages her beautiful joint
family as a elder DIL and helps all the people
voluntarily .We can't see people like her very often.
Ingredients
For Kneading
All purpose flour - 4 cups
Oil - 1 tblsp
salt - 1 tsp
sugar - 1/2 tsp
water - 1 cup
For making Parotas
Oil - 1/2 cup
Method
I use my Ultra Grinder for kneading .If you have food processor
or Stand Mixers you can use that for kneading.
Combine flour , sugar , salt and oil.slowly add water
to this.Knead for 10 min.The dough will be sticky at first.
By constant kneading it will be a soft ball.At this stage apply
1 tblsp of oil over the ball and cover the ball with a
wet cloth for 2 hrs.
After 2 hrs make lemon sized balls from the balls.
Keep the dough in between the index finger and thumb and
press. ( like in the pic).Make 10 balls out of this.
Now again the cover the balls with wet cloth for 1 hr.
After 1 hr Apply oil in the work surface and to
your hands.Take one ball and spread with hand or rolling pin
very thinly.
Now take the dough from the corner of one side.Make
pleats like you for saree and roll the dough in the centre
of the palm ( like in the pic ).
Make round like these for all the balls and cover it for
15 min.
After 15 min now take one ball.Apply some oil in the hand
and roll into small discs with the hands.
Heat the tawa and place the rolled out disc on the tawa.
You dont need much oil now.If you want just add 1/2 tsp
of oil and cook well both sides.
Take 3 parotas and keep the parotos in between
the palms of 2 hands and do like clapping the hands.
Serve hot with chalna.
This is my entry to Srivalli's Roti mela

35 comments:

FH said...

OMG!! It's so thin.I made that last week, had really hard time stretching it. I think I needto add lot more oil to get that thin, will try next time. Looks great!:)
Btw, it's Roti Mela, Dosa mela is done with last month!:)

Kalai said...

Looks so awesome, Kamala! I love parottas so much, but the work is not as much fun. Still delicious to eat!! :)

Uma said...

Nice step by step instructions! Parota looks so delicious, Kamala! I guess end result will be great even if such a lenghty process in involved! Such a lovely entry for Roti Mela!

Cham said...

I can say u are a parota master Kamala! The way u spread with oil so thinly reminds those people. Lovely ha ha, i fold it this way too by lifting much easier right? but definetly need lots of pratice ur method! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Great Parota-- Feel like eating now :)... GOOD going !!!!!
Vijayanand

Anonymous said...

Kamala you are so good at making parota. Hats off to you. I wish I could make parota like you. I am going to try. I have to try many times. Thanks.

Ramya

Annu said...

Wooooooooow Its soooo thin.I am sure I cant do this:-).very nice.

Unknown said...

looks lovely...great entry..not that easy to make naa..lot of practice before you get perfect ones as yours..

Bhawana said...

Great, you presented very lively. Good entry.

Srivalli said...

wow..kamala..you are sure an expert!..that looks wonderful!..thanks for the lovely and authentic method shown...lovely and lovely!...:)))

Madhavi said...

WOW, that's looks awesome, nice step by step instructions, thanxxx for sharing!!!

sridevi said...

wooow tooooooooooo thin need looooooooot of practice lovely pics must try but need more practice it seems

Deepa Kuber said...

ooooooooohhh!! step by step instruction! i loved it.. will def try this once.. good one.

Deepa Kuber said...

yes kamala, my mom too makes udin vada wit the hole in the centre, but i find this very easy so i made like this. different from the traditional ones ;)

EC said...

Am waiting for an opportunity to try these out since longg...U seem to have perfected this art

ranji said...

wooooooow!!!parota looks so good...sooo perfect and professional:)...how do u get it so thin?

Beyond Curries said...

Kamala Madam, kalakareenga. Cham sonna maadhiri Parotta master pola irukku. How did you manage to create such a thin layer of dough? Great.

Rama said...

Lovely parota.Looks great........

Shri said...

Wow!you have real talent in your hands.awesome !hey,check my blog for a sweet news.

Shri said...

WoW!Amazing effort.They look so good.
Great parotas.Hey,i have something for you in my blog check it.

Unknown said...

Kamala..parotta super a irukku..my dad makes these so well..I havent tried my hands on these yet..Inspired by ur pics ..Naanum try pananum

Unknown said...

Kamala..parotta super a irukku..my dad makes these so well..I havent tried my hands on these yet..Inspired by ur pics ..Naanum try pananum

Unknown said...

Kamala..parotta super a irukku..my dad makes these so well..I havent tried my hands on these yet..Inspired by ur pics ..Naanum try pananum

Shilpa said...

This post is very nice. You made the rolled paratha so thin. Not sure I can get that right, but I want to try it sometime.

vandana rajesh said...

gr8 parota. This is the same way we make it in kerala and I just love it. U seem to be a real pro and it looks so authentic (just like the hotels). Am surely bookmarking this

Sangeeth said...

wow! i have always wanted to do parota at home. when i tried last time...i messed it up....:( it is still a challenge for me to prepare parota that looks like store bought;)

Srikitchen said...

thats awesome my dear. this is how my aunt will prepare parotas. i learnt doing it from her. my in-law family got surprised when i prepared parota for them first time. they all got surprised to see such a beautiful parota. ur photos remembered me all those. i enjoyed ur recipe. keep in touch

Anonymous said...

In Ceylon Also they make roti like this. we call it vechu roti.... i dint check the ingredients.. im talking abt the preparation method..

Anonymous said...

can we make the dough and freeze it and then can we use it whenever we want like the one we busy from indian stores?plz reply me

Kavitha Baskaran said...

Hai
The parota looks so tasty . The explanation was really good . Keep up the good work . I am going to try it right now . Hope it comes out really good .

balaji said...

HI I LOVE PAROTAS BY SEEING THIS MY MOUTH WATERING

angel said...

romba thanks!for the recipe. mom n i are going to try it.

Kohisarath said...

very good learning to make parota, am go to try it..

jasmine said...

hi thanks a lot for ur recipe explained step by step with photos!today is the second time i m making parottas .a real success for my kids and husband!thank you so much.

jasmine said...

hi thanks a lot for ur recipe explained step by step with photos!today is the second time i m making parottas .a real success for my kids and husband!thank you so much.