Vazhaipoo is Banana flower in tamil . Each part
of the banana tree is so good for health ..right
from the leaf , stem , flower , plantain and the
ripe banana..My grandpa had a farm full of
banana trees..So we have loads of vazhaipoo
at grandma's place..We make this kuzhambu
similar like Fish curry.
Vazhaipoo - 2
Shallots - 5
cumin powder - 2 tblsp
chilli powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tblsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
- Peel the flower layer by layer.The flowers of outer layers can be used for making vada.
- Once the inner layer comes collect the flowers.
- Cut the center piece into half.
- Clean the flower in butter milk .
- In a vessel boil a cup of water and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cook the flowers in the water for 2 min.
- Remove the flowers from the water.
- Grind shallots to a coarse paste.
- To this add all the other ingredients and 1/2 cup of water.
- Allow it to boil. When it starts boil add the Cooked vazhaipoo.
- Cook in the low medium flame till the gravy comes together and oil separates.
- Serve with rice.