Puzhi means tamarind in Tamil and Kuzhambu
is gravy.Other than Sambhar Puzhi Kuzhambu is the next
most popular veg gravy in TamilNadu . Veggies that is
more suited for this gravy are Eggplant , Okra , Bitter gourd ,
Potato ...Here I am using vendakkai to make this Kuzhambu.
Okra - 1/4 kg
Onion chopped - 2 tblsp
Tomato chopped - 1 tblsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard , urad dal - 1 tsp
- Wash okra in water and using a kitchen towel pat dry them.
- Cut into thin small rounds and spread separately in a big round plate . Allow them to dry completely.
- In a kadai heat oil . Add mustard urad dal .
- After it splutters add onions and saute well . Then add tomato and stir well .
- Now add the okras and saute well . Okra tends to be very sticky . Stir well .
- Then add the dry powders and 1/2 cup of water.
- Allow it to boil and add tamarind paste and salt.
- Keep in the medium flame and once a thick gravy forms switch off the flame.
- Add 1 tblsp of coconut paste if you want a thick gravy.
Serve hot with rice and pappads.