Kurma is a coconut based gravy served
with Chappathis and Rotis in South India.
My son prefers veg gravies most of the time and
so vegetable kurma features in our home often.
Chopped veg - 2 cups
( carrots , potatoes , peas , cauliflower )
shallots - 8
Garlic - 6
Green chillies - 8
Ginger - 1 " piece
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
Tomatoes - 2
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cashew - 10
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a kadai . Saute shallots , ginger , garlic , green chillies and cashew.
- Cool down and grind it to a nice paste.
- Now heat the ghee in the pressure cooker,Saute the grinded shallots paste well.
- Add chopped tomatoes . Saute well till soft . Now add the chopped vegetables.
- Now pour the coconut milk and add coriander powder and salt . Close the lid of the cooker .
- Cook it for 2 whistles and switch off the cooker.
- Open the cooker after the pressure releases and add the coconut - poppy seeds paste.
- Cook it in medium flame till the desired consistency.
Serve with Chappathis.
Since both coconut milk and coconut paste are added
add more chillies according to your taste . I have used
less chillies for my kids.
This is my another entry to Srivalli's Curry Mela.