Vada is a popular South Indian snack. No South Indian
festival will end up without vada.In our place during
the first day of tamil month Aadi We used to make
vada during the evening.Last Wednesday was Aadi 1.
I prepared vada that day and here is the recipe.
Urad dhal - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper freshly grounded - 1 tsp
coriander , green chillies , curry leaves chopped - 1 tsp each
onion chopped - 1
Oil to fry - 1/2 lr
- Soak urad dal in enough water for 2 hrs.
- Drain the water completely after 2 hrs.
- Grind in the mixie adding little water at a time.
- Don't add too much water.Grind well to from a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai.
- Add salt ,pepper,greenchillies.coriander and curry leaves to the batter.
- Mix well.
- Take a plastic sheet or banana leaf.
- Wet the hands with water.Take a lemon sized batter and place it on the sheet.
- Flatten the batter with the middle three fingers and make a hole in the middle.
- Now lift the sheet using the left hand and slowly take the vada and slide in the kadai.
- Fry in the medium flame.
- Turn the vada and remove the vada from kadai after it turns golden yellow.
Enjoy with Coconut chutney.
1. If the batter becomes loose add 1 or 2 tsp rice flour.
2.Don't keep the batter outside for long time.