Chapati is a staple flat bread of North India.Amma
started making chapatis for dinner during my
college days..Usually Amma doesnot allow us
in the kitchen..Both Amma and Appa expect
perfection in kitchen that results in doing only cleaning
the kitchen for me and my sister.
But it was a hard time for me when I started making
chapatis after my marriage..Hubby threw away lots
of chapatis because of the uncooked edges.It takes
long time for me to make a perfect chapati..
Wheat flour - 2 cups
Warm Water - 1 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
- Combine wheat flour and salt . Add water little by little.
- Form a soft dough . Knead the dough for 10 min.The more you knead the better the result.
- Apply oil on the dough and close it with a wet cloth for 30 min.
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls.
- Using the rolling pin roll into uniform discs.
- Heat the tawa.When the tawa is hot place the disc in the tawa.
- Cook for 1 min.Turn the chapati other side and add 1/2 tsp of oil.
- Press the edges with clean kitchen towel .
- When it puffs up turn it again and cook for 1/2 min.
- Remove from the tawa and store it in a casserole.
- Cook the remaining chapatis like above.
- Turn the chapati upside down in the casserole each time.This prevents chapati remain from soggy.