Nov 23, 2008

Seppankizhangu ( Arbi ) Roast

This is one of my grandma's signature dish..She used to
make this every other Friday to accompany Sambhar rice.
The traditional method goes by deep fry the arbi .For a healthier
version I baked it in the oven.
Fresh Arbi makes our hands irritating and itching.So use
the arbi after 1 week.
Ingredients
Senaikizhangu ( Arbi ) - 1/2 kg
Onion - chopped - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 4
Cinnamon - 1 " stick
Aniseed - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tblsp
Method
  • Cook the arbi with enough water in a cooker for 1 whistle. It should be 3/4 th cooked.
  • When it cools down peel off the skin and cut into finger size pieces.
  • It tends to stick . So spread without touching in a big plate for 2o min.
  • Mix 1 tsp of oil in the arbi pieces and spread in the baking tray.
  • Bake it for 30 min or until golden brown stirring occasionally.
  • Meanwhile make a coarse paste with onions , chillies , aniseed , cinnamon turmeric powder and salt.
  • Mix this evenly to arbi and let it marinate for 15 min.
  • Heat oil in a deep kadai . Shallow fry the arbi pieces until crispy.
  • Serve with rice.

Check out what my fellow RM cook today. 1) DK 2) Siri 3) Srivalli 4) Ranji 5)PJ 6)Curry Leaf 7)Medha 8)Priya 9)Bhawna 10)Raaji 11)Ruchii 12)Anu 13)Roopa 14)Divya Kudua 15)Rekha 16)Divya M 17)Lakshmi 18)Raaga 19)Lakshmi Venkatesh 20)Sripriya 21)Viji 22)Pavani 23)Karuna 24)Roochi 25)Kamalika

12 comments:

Laavanya said...

Kamala.. that looks awesome and it's baked too :) I've not seen senaikizhangu here.. what is the name used here. I've only used the frozen ones but not sure if they'll work for this fry. ALso, thanks for your clarification for idiyaapam... will try with storebought rice flour next time.

CurryLeaf said...

looks yum.I love it too

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow, Arbi pieces are looking delicious and the color is divine this should also make a great snack rite?

Dori said...

Sounds good with the aniseed, wish I had some Arbi!

Cham said...

I love senaikizhamgu , never baked sounds excellent!

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz a yummy roast kamala ...

Finla said...

Wow super delicious. If i could reach hem i would eat the whole plate. Looks so iviting that plate or roast.

ranji said...

Arbi roast looks perfect....love the color..looks so crispy...good one :)

Divya said...

roast is yummy i love sennaikizhangu.......mouth watering .....

Medhaa said...

this looks lovely, even mom used to make this often but the fried version. makes me want to have them now

Srivalli said...

Well I have some hand full varieties and yet I am sure I am going to try this too...looks great kamala..

Unknown said...

hmm, never made these but I like Arbi a looot :) My mom someitimes makes pickle with it.