This is one of my grandma's signature dish..She used to
make this every other Friday to accompany Sambhar rice.
The traditional method goes by deep fry the arbi .For a healthier
version I baked it in the oven.
Fresh Arbi makes our hands irritating and itching.So use
the arbi after 1 week.
Senaikizhangu ( Arbi ) - 1/2 kg
Onion - chopped - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 4
Cinnamon - 1 " stick
Aniseed - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tblsp
- Cook the arbi with enough water in a cooker for 1 whistle. It should be 3/4 th cooked.
- When it cools down peel off the skin and cut into finger size pieces.
- It tends to stick . So spread without touching in a big plate for 2o min.
- Mix 1 tsp of oil in the arbi pieces and spread in the baking tray.
- Bake it for 30 min or until golden brown stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile make a coarse paste with onions , chillies , aniseed , cinnamon turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix this evenly to arbi and let it marinate for 15 min.
- Heat oil in a deep kadai . Shallow fry the arbi pieces until crispy.
- Serve with rice.