A crunchy and good tea time snack I tried from
William Sonoma 's Essentials of Baking.
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp
eggs - 2
unsalted butter - 1/2 cup
vanilla extract - 1 tsp
grated orange zest - 1 1/2 tsp
Almond extract - 1 tsp
coarsely chopped pistachio nuts - 1 cup
dried cranberries - 1/2 cup
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
- In a bowl sift together the flour , baking powder and salt.
- Combine eggs and sugar .
- Beat until light in color and thick abt 3 min.
- Beat in the melted butter , orange zest and vanilla ,almond extracts.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Stir in the nuts and cranberries.
- The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Scoop out half of the dough onto one one half of the prepared baking sheet and form into a log 10 inch .
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Press the logs gently to make them 3 inch wide with damp fingertips.
- Bake the logs until they are crisp and golden on the outside , 20 -25 min.
- The centres will be soft.
- Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temp to 300 F.
- Let the logs cool on the baking sheet for 10 min.
- Transfer the logs to a cutting board .
- Cut each log crosswise on the diagonal into slices 3/4 inch thick.
- Arrange the slices cut sides down .
- Return to the oven and bake for 17 - 22 min.
- Flip the cookies in between.
The interiors of the cookies become crisp as they cool.I am very happy that I have got two more Yummy blog awards from Shriya and Nirmala.Thank you so much friends. As per the rules I like to pass this award to Cham , sukanya Ramkumar , Latha Narasimhan , Lavi.