Recently I found william Sonama's
Essentioals of Baking in our public library.
This book gives step by step instructions for
the home bakers.Though I messed up in the braiding
the bread looks good and yummy.
Yeast - 5 tsp
warm water - 1 cup
sugar - 1/2 cup
eggs - 3 + 1 egg beaten for glaze
All purpose flour - 5 cups
salt - 2 tsp
butter - 1/2 cup
poppy seeds or sesame seeds - 1 tblsp
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water .Wait for 5 min or until it is foamy.
- Stir in the sugar , eggs, 4 1/2 cups flour , salt and the butter until the dough comes together
- Knead well with remaining flour until the dough is smooth and elastic 5 -7 min
- Form the dough into a ball .
- Keep the dough in a oiled bowl and cover it with a wet cloth.
- Let the dough rise until it doubles abt 2 hrs.
- Now Punch down the dough .
- Cut the dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Form 3 ropes.
- Line up the 3 strands infront of you horizontally.
- Now the braid the strands like braiding the hair.
- Place the braided loaf on the prepared pan , cover with a dry kitchen towel and let rise again in a warm place for 45 - 60 min.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 F
- Brush the braid gently with the beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake it for 30 - 35 min.
- Cool it in a wire rack for 10 min.